Views: 12 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-09-01 Origin: Site
Over the years architects have leveraged the use of exquisite building materials to create building masterpieces. However, no other material has come to match the elegance of glass as a building material. This article looks at the 10 advantages of using glass as a building material.
Glass has a variety of properties and uses that present architects with a whole new range of possibilities.
It is mostly used as a transparent glazing material in most buildings, but its possibilities are endless. Glass is a substance that is made from the application of heat on sand or quartz.
1. Unlike any other material, glass can transmit, absorb or refract light.As a result, it can be both translucent and transparent. Such characteristics add extraordinary beauty to your building.
2. Glass can transmit 80% of daylight in all directions.It can do so without any weathering, clouding or yellowing.
3. It is weather resistant.Glass can withstand effects of rain, wind and the sun without losing its integrity and appearance.
4. Glass is also rust resistant. Unlike any other, it won’t degrade by chemical and the surrounding environmental effects.
5. It has a smooth and glossy surface. As a result, glass is dust-proof and thus easy to clean.
6. It is economic. Consider the fact that glass saves energy by allowing in natural light even when you close your windows and doors. It also saves you on the electricity bill cost.
7. You are much safer from electric hazards. The glass is a very excellent insulator. It is thus impossible for it to conduct electric current.
8. Variety of colors. When you combine the glass in insulated or laminated units, it changes in color and appearance.
9. Glass can be pressed, blown and drawn to any shape. Consequently, it is used in buildings, shop fronts, windows and doors. After lamination with plywood or a metal sheet, you can also use it for furniture.
10. It is especially excellent for showrooms and showcases. Glass provides the means to showcase a product..
Glass is also abrasion resistant, resisting surface wear in case of contact with other material. It is also stable over a wide range of temperature that is why it can also use it in fireplaces.
When you opt to build with glass, you should make sure you work with an experienced professional.